The Big Crunch
In recognition of World Food Day (October 16th), CHEP and Saskatoon elementary schools organize annual Big Crunch activities to celebrate healthy eating and local farmers. This event highlights the journey of the carrot from seed, to garden, to plate.
Schools are invited to take part in carrot activities during the week leading up to the event (see Teacher Resources below).
At 11 am on the day of The Big Crunch, students taking part in assemblies or classroom activities are invited to bite into a locally grown carrot in unison, in a CRUNCH heard around Saskatoon!
The Big Crunch took place Friday,
October 14th, 2016
The Big Crunch:
- Promotes healthy snacking
- Highlights locally grown produce
- Uses the carrot as a point of departure for activities on nutrition
- Is adaptable to many curriculum areas
- Celebrates school community togetherness
- Raises awareness of CHEP’s nutrition programs
In 2015 Princess Alexandra School in Saskatoon celebrated The Big Crunch with an assembly attended by the Honourable Don Morgan, Minister of Education, and other special guests.
Students learned about how carrots are harvested and took part in a Carrot Trivia game. Captain Carrot handed out locally grown carrots, and at 11 am participants took a bite in a crunch heard across Saskatoon!
Please refer to the links below to find out more and to register for the Big Crunch.
- Big Crunch 2016 online registration form fillable pdf
- Download a fillable PDF Registration Form
- How to Take The Big Crunch 2016
- Click this link for info on how to participate in the Big Crunch
- The Big Crunch Backgrounder
- Click this link for background info about the Big Crunch
Classroom Activity Plans
- Big Crunch Curriculum Links & Printable Resources
- Classroom activity plans
- Harvesting Big Crunch Carrots
- Opens a Youtube video.
- Children’s Nutrition
- Infant Nutrition
- Kids Kitchens
- Nutrition Positive
- Buffet / Salad Bars
- The Big Crunch
- Community Gardening
- Backyard Gardening Program
- Seniors Stores
- Social Enterprise / Urban Agriculture
- Community Markets
- Community Outreach
- Calendar of Upcoming Events